Product: CallaneticsEvolution DVD
Warranty: Return, replace, or refund
My rating: 10
How Callanetics works so fast
Want to know why Callanetics uses 7 helpful keys in its workouts? This blog will cover the 7 key concepts that has made Callanetics still popular since the first DVD came out in the 80s. Callanetics is a unique and effective exercise program created by Callan Pinckney. Callanetics works by activating the body’s deepest muscles. It produces amazing results immediately. You feel the difference in minutes and see the dramatic results within hours.
According to the Callanetics’ website, “Callanetics produces the fastest results in the shortest possible time – with no injuries. At the same time it protects and strengthens your back. The tiny, precise, delicate pulsing movements will also work your heart in a very gentle way.”
There was a new concept started in 1996 with Callanetics – The Third Dimension (called CallaneticsEvolution DVD). Using your pelvic floor during the workout was added. The lovely master teacher Sandra Hanna graciously goes over 3 ways to pulse to get even better results. Whereas Callanetics used to have 5 key concepts, The Third Dimension added 2 new concepts. Now there are 7 key concepts. These concepts are vital to the success of Callanetics giving us the body we deserve, no matter what age.
The 7 Keys that are vital for quick results:
- NO PAIN. “All Callanetics, including the *Third Dimension exercises (see bottom of page), are designed for absolutely pain-free training.” If you feel any pain, get in touch with me and we can look at your position. We can find an alternative way to change your position that allows you to exercise without pain, and that means correctly. You will want to challenge your muscles but no overworking them. Common muscle ache is normal and desirable, but not one due to over-acidity. Sometimes pain cannot be avoided due to a person who has over many years created a back problem due to sloppy posture. Beginners can learn to breath into the pain and relax while changing into pain-free positions.
- USING THE PELVIC FLOOR. The pelvic floor is the core, the true center of an upright posture that is gentle on your back and it is this very posture that is taught in Callanetics’ classes and on the CallaneticsEvolution DVD. The lovely Callanetics’ master teacher Sandra Hanna graciously explains the 3 ways one can pulse and get amazing results.
- ALIGNMENT. “Proper alignment of the feet, knees, hip, and shoulders is facilitated with the training and consistent use of the pelvic floor. Bipolarity is the concept of two poles or anchor points being stretched at either end or pole – imagine the taut string of a violin held in place at each end. Another word for bipolarity is counterpole. The three sets of counterpoles that Callanetics – The Third Dimension focuses on are between the crown of the head and the pelvic floor; the pelvic floor and the feet; and the joint of the big toe and the outer edge of the heel. The opposite pole to the pelvic floor is the crown of the head. Imagine your body is dangling on a thread from a golden hook in the sky. Between the pelvic floor, pulling from below and the crown, pulling skywards from above lies your spine – now maximally stretched yet relaxed.”
- ROTATION/SPIRALING. “Spirals are found everywhere in nature such as tornadoes, DNA, and whirlpools. In the make up of the human body, we can find spirals. The innermost muscles – the ones that are actually connected to the skeleton – wrap around the bones in a spiral-like manner. The new exercises are designed to work our muscles in a natural manner. For example, instead of moving up and down or back and forth, the exercises move our muscles in a rotating manner.”
- RELAXATION. “To increase the amount of energy available for training a body part, the rest of your body can relax while one muscle group is working full power. The more you manage to relax the rest of your body, the more energy is available for the area you’re working with. For example, you’re working your bottom but have your shoulders and neck contracted at the same time, your bottom gets only a third of the energy benefit and your torso none at all. This form of meditation is greatest in concentration and will greatly help you to relax in moments of stress in everyday life. Even advanced students need to remind themselves to relax even more, because relaxed strength is the most powerful strength.”
- MINUTE MOVEMENTS AND PULSING. Bigger is not better with Callanetics. Callan Pinckney, the creator of Callanetics, always emphasized tiny, precise motions. These tiny motions make for intense muscle contractions. These tiny motions are only 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch. That is why you will pull in quicker with Callanetics than most workouts.
- WORK AT YOUR OWN PACE. Regular Callanetics and the CallaneticsEvolution DVD are to be done as slowly as possible for this makes your muscles flexible and smooth. 60 repetitions are a good target. Always remember “the slower the movement, the greater the intensity of the exercise.” It is better to do less repetitions in a better position than doing more repetitions in a sloppy position. It is not quantity that counts but quality and concentration. Coming up from a lying position is always done in slow motion.
It is very important to watch the Callanetics Concepts on the Callanetics Evolution DVD. You can go back and watch it as much as you need to. Once again, this is what the Third Dimension means:
* “The core principles of the new exercises are:
- The persistent conscious use of the pelvic floor muscles (even in everyday life)
- The lengthening of the spine against gravity
- The alignment of feet, knees, hips, pelvis, and shoulders
- The implementation of the natural wrapping of the muscles”
Please feel free to comment or e-Mail me at email@example.com. I am here to listen as I understand being out of shape. My goal is to help you with a program that works for you.
Reference: Callanetics – The Third Dimension, 1999, Callanetics.com, The Callanetics Studio